Thursday, September 17, 2009

Regrets, I've Had a Few...

Last night, I had a unique experience. I was bitten  by a spider. On my bum. Unlike Peter Parker, I did not receive amazing super powers from this,  just a painful, itchy welt. Why a spider was visiting that general area is something we will never know. He/She/It should  certainly have known that that general vicinity is somewhere most mortals fear to tread.

I have been bitten by spiders before, but never in that "special place". As with all important happenings in your life, events like this make you ponder all the other things you never have done. Morgan Freeman would call it a "Bucket List". I just think of  it as things I haven't done yet. Here are a few:

• I have never been on a  cruise. The idea of a cruise vacation is very appealing to me, but I have never done it. I really hope to someday soon. Episodes of  "The Love Boat" indicate they are really a great time, and I eagerly look forward to plenty of on-board hi jinks!

• I have never mowed a lawn. As a boy, a kid in my neighborhood sliced his foot up in a lawnmower, and my Mother was paranoid that I would do the same. I was thus spared  from ever having to do this chore, not that I mind. When it sit on my porch with a cool beverage in the shade and watch others do it, it doesn't look like much fun.

• I never took piano lessons. This is something I really wish I had done. Nothing makes you more of a hit at a party than being able to sit down at the piano and plunk out "Send in the Clowns".

• I never turned in my book report on "A Separate Peace". I hope  my English teacher has forgotten about that. Since she is dead, it is pretty likely. Which reminds me:

• I didn't go to my English teacher's funeral. Maybe I was still worried about the book report.

• I never saw "Rent" on Broadway. This is another thing I really don't regret.

• I never owned a ferret. I have never lived in a trailer, either.  I think the two go hand-in-hand.

• I also never got the remote control Doctor Who K9 for Christmas, that I was promised was "back-ordered". Still waiting on that one.

I will cut this list short now, as it seems like a bit of a downer. Truth be told, I have had, and continue to have, a great life filled with good friends, great times, and cherished loved ones. All in  all, there is really nothing about my past I would change, and I have few regrets. My past made me who I  am after all, and there is really nothing I could want.

Except a remote control K9.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger P.L. Frederick said...

Never been on a cruise? And living so close to Boston harbor, too. I've never gone on one either, but a cruise is inevitable isn't it, as we age? There's this great site that'll email you travel specials that I use—well, use in the sense that I get their weekly email specials from Boston and I yearn and I yearn and I yearn. Try it, it's fun. There's frequently a cruise included. Site is called Travel Zoo, at www.travelzoo.com. Take Perfect Wife and Family for low jinks on high seas.

The rest of your list is sad. Good to know it's the culmination of Happy Life.

P.L. Frederick (Small & Big)

September 17, 2009 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger P.L. Frederick said...

P.S. Sorry to learn about your bum bum.

September 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Black Canary said...

Yuk--I hate spiders! I assumed you rolled over on it while you slept. Why do they insist on being in bedrooms? Just stay in the basement where you belong!

As for mowing the lawn--knowing you as I do, I think it is a wise idea for you to stay away from any mechanical object. Your mom was smart.

Cruises are fun and there aren't any spiders! I hope you get to take one some day.

September 17, 2009 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Bill White said...

P.L.- My list isn't that sad. Except for the no K9 part.

Black Canary- Maybe I wouldn't have to worry about spiders if I had a remote control K9 to scare them off.

September 17, 2009 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Black Canary said...

If you keep spending money on toys you won't have any money left to take a cruise.

And that's where the canker gnaws...

September 18, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Shipping On Purchases Over $25 - Limited Time Find your movie at MoviesUnlimited.com. Apple iTunes