Regrets, I've Had a Few...
Last night, I had a unique experience. I was bitten by a spider. On my bum. Unlike Peter Parker, I did not receive amazing super powers from this, just a painful, itchy welt. Why a spider was visiting that general area is something we will never know. He/She/It should certainly have known that that general vicinity is somewhere most mortals fear to tread.
I have been bitten by spiders before, but never in that "special place". As with all important happenings in your life, events like this make you ponder all the other things you never have done. Morgan Freeman would call it a "Bucket List". I just think of it as things I haven't done yet. Here are a few:
• I have never been on a cruise. The idea of a cruise vacation is very appealing to me, but I have never done it. I really hope to someday soon. Episodes of "The Love Boat" indicate they are really a great time, and I eagerly look forward to plenty of on-board hi jinks!
• I have never mowed a lawn. As a boy, a kid in my neighborhood sliced his foot up in a lawnmower, and my Mother was paranoid that I would do the same. I was thus spared from ever having to do this chore, not that I mind. When it sit on my porch with a cool beverage in the shade and watch others do it, it doesn't look like much fun.
• I never took piano lessons. This is something I really wish I had done. Nothing makes you more of a hit at a party than being able to sit down at the piano and plunk out "Send in the Clowns".
• I never turned in my book report on "A Separate Peace". I hope my English teacher has forgotten about that. Since she is dead, it is pretty likely. Which reminds me:
• I didn't go to my English teacher's funeral. Maybe I was still worried about the book report.
• I never saw "Rent" on Broadway. This is another thing I really don't regret.
• I never owned a ferret. I have never lived in a trailer, either. I think the two go hand-in-hand.
• I also never got the remote control Doctor Who K9 for Christmas, that I was promised was "back-ordered". Still waiting on that one.
I will cut this list short now, as it seems like a bit of a downer. Truth be told, I have had, and continue to have, a great life filled with good friends, great times, and cherished loved ones. All in all, there is really nothing about my past I would change, and I have few regrets. My past made me who I am after all, and there is really nothing I could want.
Except a remote control K9.