Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Disses and Dats!

Well, Halloween has come and gone. This year, our Holiday was even more low-key than we had anticipated it would be: We had a grand total of ZERO Trick or Treaters. We were not really surprised, as we live on a really busy and dark country road that only the worst parent in the world would let their children wander around on. Still, we do have some neighbors with kids, so we were hoping for at least one or two, but no. Not a one. We were disappointed, but on the upside,  we have enough Reese's™ Peanut Butter Cups to last us for awhile, and our trees are toilet paper-free.

While we were let down by the kids, our old friend the Television didn't let us down. It gave us the best Halloween present of all: The debut broadcast of AMC's "The Walking Dead". I had been looking forward to this TV adaptation of the comic book series by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard (and Tony Moore) for a while now, and was thrilled with how well it turned out. I hate to use juvenile terms like "awesome" in describing things, but that's just what it was, awesome. The series is a character study set against the backdrop of that favorite topic of mine, a Zombie Apocalypse. Everything about this show was perfect. The acting and writing were top-notch, and the cinematography deserves a special mention: It had the wonderful, washed out quality of a 1970's B Movie, that really added to the dreary mood of the show. Kudos to producer  Frank Darabont for adapting a comic book property correctly. I can't wait to watch more.

If you are a fan of Zombie movies, of course you must watch this show. Even if you shy away from this genre, it's worth checking out. It's that good. Horse lovers might want to skip it, though. Seems the Zombies on this show aren't the fussy eaters that some other Zombies are.

"That's all well and fine, Bill", I hear you saying, "but what the heck does the above cartoon have to do with The Walking Dead?" The answer is simple: It has nothing to  do with TWD. You see,  even though we  have bidden a fond farewell to Halloween, I still have a few spooky things up my sleeve (not to mention other spots) to discuss here. Today's doodle is a teaser for a topic I've been threatening to discuss for a long time.. I think I have finally had enough therapy to talk about it, and you should hear all about it soon. This picture will make sense then.

In the meantime, if you get into a jam, remember: Shoot 'em in the nose!

UPDATE: This pathetic entry is my 250th post!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I bought the first 35 issues of the Walking Dead comic books when they first came out. Really good stuff. I see issue #1 on eBay going for over $200...perhaps I should sell them?

I'm DVRing the AMC series. The wife and I really enjoyed the first episode.

You have raised my curiosity with the tease drawing. It must have something to do with Perfect Wife and Rocco the Wonderdog though.

November 2, 2010 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Bill White said...

Oooooh, David! I thought for sure you were one of the few who would get the reference.

Don't sell your old comics! You will regret it, trust me on this one.

November 2, 2010 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger MikeH said...

I dunno. I hated 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, the Dawn of the Dead remake & Zombieland. Does that mean I'm no fan of zombie movies?

November 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM  
Blogger Bill White said...

Mike-

Even if you hate the Zombie genre, this show is worth checking out.

BTW, I still think the first ten minutes of the "Dawn of the Dead" remake are amazing. The rest of the film doesn't measure up, though.

November 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

William White, man of mystery. He writes of art projects he is working on, but divulges no details, and now he draws cryptic images of perfect wife and perfect pup looking like purple pods from “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”. To what end… to what end?

eeteed

November 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Bill White said...

Oh, COME ON!!!

No one can guess the reference?!

I may not do this post!

November 4, 2010 at 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm, xmas ornaments from how the grinch stole christmas?

eeteed

November 4, 2010 at 5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

back in the day you were a huge fan of prince, and showed your support by wearing two purple earrings?

eeteed

November 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Pepper Potts said...

I hope you post the other drawing you did which will most certainly bring everything to light! Those cotton candy pods are too vague a reference--especially for those who have not had the mispleasure... er, I mean pleasure of seeing the obscure film to which it references.

November 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger Bill White said...

Really people! I can't believe regular readers can't figure out this reference. Pepper practically spelled it out for you.

However, you'll have to wait for a few days for the post, as at the moment, I have bigger fish to fry.

November 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, pepper did indeed spell it out, but you can't blame me for not getting it... it's been well over 10 years since i've seen that movie.

besides, the image of you as a prince fan wearing purple earrings is rather amusing.

eeteed

November 5, 2010 at 5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Shipping On Purchases Over $25 - Limited Time Find your movie at MoviesUnlimited.com. Apple iTunes